Menstrual cups and discs have gained immense popularity in recent years as a sustainable and eco-friendly alternative to traditional feminine hygiene products – and of course, we are here for it! Cups & Discs offer countless benefits, including cost-effectiveness, reduced environmental impact, and increased comfort.
With the increased usage of menstrual cups, it is crucial to prioritize proper hygiene and maintenance. Sterilizing your menstrual cup is an essential step in ensuring its longevity and preventing the risk of infection. In this blog post, we will delve into the significance of sterilization, how often it should be done, various sterilization methods, and why the Pixie Jayla Steamer is the best, most convenient option.
Why Sterilizing Your Menstrual Cup is Crucial
Preventing Infections: Using an unsterilized menstrual cup can introduce harmful bacteria into your vagina, leading to various infections such as yeast infections, bacterial vaginosis, or urinary tract infections (UTIs). Sterilization effectively eliminates these potential risks, ensuring a healthier and more hygienic experience.
Maintaining the Cup’s Integrity: Menstrual cups are typically made of medical-grade silicone or other high-quality materials. Regular sterilization prevents the build-up of bacteria, mold, or mildew, which can compromise the integrity of the cup over time. By maintaining cleanliness, you can extend the lifespan of your menstrual cup and ensure its continued effectiveness.
How Often Should You Sterilize Your Menstrual Cup
Generally, there are three key moments when sterilization is essential:
- Before First Use: Before using your new menstrual cup for the first time, it is crucial to sterilize it. This ensures that any potential manufacturing residues or contaminants are eliminated, guaranteeing a safe and clean product.
- Between Menstrual Cycles: After each menstrual cycle, you should sterilize your menstrual cup to remove any residual blood, bacteria, or odor. This step helps maintain its cleanliness and prepares it for future use.
- Between Emptying and Reinsertion: While it is not necessary to sterilize your menstrual cup every time you empty it, it is important to rinse it with warm water and a gentle, silicone safe wash to remove any debris. Sterilization should be done at least once a day during your cycle, ensuring optimal hygiene and preventing potential infections.
How to Sterilize Your Menstrual Cup
Steps for boiling your cup in water:
- Fill a Pot with Water: Start by selecting a pot that is large enough to accommodate your menstrual cup comfortably. Fill the pot with enough water to fully submerge the cup without overflowing when boiling.
- Boil the Water: Put the pot on the stove and heat the water on high heat until it reaches a rolling boil.
- Place the cup in the water, ensuring that it doesn’t touch the sides or bottom of the pan – as that will damage the silicone. (tongs & whisks help a lot!) Allow the water to continue boiling for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove and Cool Down: Turn off the heat and use tongs or a spoon to carefully remove the cup from the pot. Be cautious, as the cup and water may still be hot. Place the cup on a clean surface or on a towel to cool down completely.
- Rinse and Dry: Once the cup has cooled down, pat the cup dry with a clean towel or leave it in a well-ventilated area to air dry completely before storage.
Steps for sterilizing your cup with a Jayla Steamer
- Prepare the Pixie Steamer: Remove the lid and fill the base with 5 mL (1 tsp) of water. It is important to use distilled or filtered water to prevent any mineral deposits or impurities.
- Place the Menstrual Cup in the Jayla Steamer: Take your menstrual cup and carefully place it inside the Pixie Steamer and secure the lid.
- Close and Activate the Pixie Steamer: Once the lid is closed, press the power button to activate the steamer.
- Wait for the Sterilization Cycle to Complete: The Pixie Steamer will start generating steam immediately. The steam cycle runs for 3 minutes.
Important Note :: It averages around 3 minutes but should run a full minute to sterilize properly. The actual running time will vary based on the amount of water put inside the Steamer. The more water, the longer it will run. Once the Steamer shuts off, there shouldn’t be any water remaining (besides residue).
- Automatic Shut-off and Cool Down: Once the sterilization cycle is complete, the Jayla Steamer will automatically shut off, ensuring energy efficiency and preventing overheating. At this point, it is essential to allow the device to cool down before opening the lid. This usually takes a few minutes.
- Remove and Rinse the Menstrual Cup: After the Pixie Steamer has cooled down, open the lid and carefully remove your sterilized menstrual cup. Your cup is now ready to be used or stored until your next menstrual cycle!
Is the Jayla Steamer worth it?
- Effortless Convenience: The Pixie Steamer eliminates the need for manual monitoring or complicated procedures. With its one-touch activation and automatic shut-off feature, sterilizing your menstrual cup has never been easier.
- Advanced Steam Technology: The Pixie Steamer utilizes steam to eliminate bacteria and odors effectively. Steam has been proven to be a highly reliable and efficient method for sterilization, ensuring thorough cleanliness.
- Compatibility and Versatility: The Pixie Steamer is designed to accommodate a wide range of menstrual cups and discs, regardless of brand, size, or material. This versatility makes it suitable for any cup user, providing consistent and effective sterilization.
- Safety Features: The Pixie Steamer incorporates safety features such as automatic shut-off, preventing any potential damage or accidents. You can trust the Pixie Steamer to prioritize your safety and the longevity of your menstrual cup.
- Time-Saving Solution: With its quick sterilization cycle, the Pixie Steamer saves you valuable time compared to traditional methods like boiling or soaking. In just a few minutes, your cup is thoroughly sterilized and ready for use.
- Eco-Friendly and Chemical-Free: The Pixie Steamer operates solely with water and steam, eliminating the need for harsh chemicals or disposable products.
Proper sterilization of your menstrual cup or disc is crucial for maintaining hygiene and preventing infections. The Jayla Steamer stands out as the best option for efficient, convenient, and reliable sterilization. With its steam technology, user-friendly design, compatibility with various brands, and enhanced safety features, the Pixie Steamer offers an unparalleled experience offering complete period freedom!